mishtalk | UK prime minister Theresa May will address the UN General Assembly on Tuesday. She seeks UN Action to Control Mass Migration Flows.
In contrast, I propose a 10-point “common sense” solution, not UN action.
What the hell can the UN do?
The answer of course is nothing. And asking a political body that cannot possibly do anything useful to solve a problem is like hoping a wish-granting magic genie will pop out of the bottle.
Some readers may be thinking “stop criticizing and offer a solution”. Fair enough.
Mish Ten Point Refugee Plan
- Don’t start wars. This especially applies to the US.
- Don’t nation build. This especially applies to the US.
- Don’t interfere in the internal politics of other nations. Universal
- Don’t welcome refugees with open arms. This especially applies to the EU
- Don’t pay bribes to halt refugee flows. This especially applies to the EU.
- Don’t demand other countries accept refugees they do not want. This especially applies to the EU.
- Don’t criticize other countries for controlling their borders. This especially applies to the EU.
- Do recognize the difference between economic refugees and political refugees. Universal
- Do be willing to accept Australian-style solutions of forcibly stopping refugees from entering a country. Universal
- Do Recognize a nation’s first priority must be the safety and welfare of its own citizens. Universal
If point 6 had been followed, Brexit would never have happened.
Instead of seeking UN action, how about a little common sense?